How to Spot Toxic Ingestion in Pets
No pet owner wants to see their animal friend get sick or poisoned by eating something they shouldn't. Unfortunately, there is no way to effectively communicate to our pets exactly what they should and shouldn't eat. So, it is up to us to keep harmful substances out of our pets' reach. It is also crucial for all pet owners to know the signs of toxic ingestion and when to go to the emergency vet. If you live in Lewistown, Mifflintown, or the surrounding areas, you can bring your pet in for emergency care. Our team at Pleasant View Veterinary Clinic would like to share some information on toxic ingestion and emergency care.
Signs of Toxic Ingestion in Pets
The good news is that most cases of toxic ingestion only result in mild upset stomachs. However, it is important to still act with caution and at least call our veterinarians if you notice any of the following signs:
- Vomiting (especially repeated vomiting or if your pet appears to still be in pain or anguish after)
- Wheezing & difficulty breathing
- Red eyes
- Pawing at the face
- Excessive drooling
- Runny Nose
- Appears to be in a daze or shows other odd behaviors
- Unresponsive: If this is the case, it is time to get your pet to the emergency vet immediately.
Common Household Pet Toxins
Many people have items in their homes that are toxic to pets without realizing it. Because dogs and cats (and other animals) have somewhat different lists of toxins, it is important to talk with our veterinarians about your pet's needs. However, the following items should be checked and kept out of reach whenever possible:
- Household cleaners
- Dishwater tablets and detergent
- Clothing detergent
- Uncooked bread dough
- Macadamia nuts
- Rat poisoning & other pest control materials
- Certain household and garden plants. Check with our team about specific plants and their effects on your pet.
Contact Pleasant View Veterinary Clinic to Learn More
Our team at Pleasant View Veterinary Clinic are your go-to veterinarians in Lewistown and Mifflintown. If you are concerned that your pet has ingested something toxic or have questions about what substances may be harmful, please don't hesitate to give us a call at 717-248-4703.