Your Mifflintown and Lewiston Veterinarian Treats Common Pet Emergencies
Most of us have a general idea of what to do in an emergency. Call for help, stay calm, remove the hurt person or animal from any imminent danger, and ensure the scene is safe before rendering basic care until professional help is available. If you are a pet owner, you should save the phone number to your local emergency animal clinic to your phone so you'll always be prepared.
At Pleasant View Veterinary Clinic and Juniata Veterinary Clinic, our vet team strongly encourages all local pet parents to be aware of some of the most common types of pet emergencies that their cats, dogs, or other animals may experience. After all, while rare, accidents and emergencies do happen, so it's important to be as prepared and educated ahead of time as possible.
Below are some of the most common conditions that emergency vets evaluate and treat:
- Accidental poisoning or ingestion of toxic substances (including chocolate, household cleaners, xylitol, onions, etc.)
- Blunt force trauma
- Broken bones
- Foreign object impalement
- Snake bites and other interactions with wildlife
If your pet is showing unusual signs and symptoms and you're not sure what's causing this—or whether it even constitutes an emergency—call your local vet. Our Mifflintown and Lewistown PA team can give you helpful guidance on what to do based on the symptoms you see, which may include things like:
- Sudden bleeding or bruising, or bleeding that doesn't stop within 5 minutes
- Blood in urine, stool, or vomit
- Inability to urinate or pass stool
- Excessive panting, coughing, gagging, and other signs of respiratory distress
- Sudden and/or severe lameness, limping, or inability to walk or get off the floor
- Severe and sudden onset of diarrhea or vomiting (particularly if there are 2 or more episodes in a 24 hour period)
- Signs of pain or extreme anxiety
Are you concerned about your pet's health? Call for help—it could save your pet's life! If you live in Lewistown PA and believe you have a pet emergency, then call 717-248-4703 to connect with Pleasant View Veterinary Clinic. We are also available at the Juniata Veterinary Clinic, our Mifflintown PA location, at 717-436-9790.